Sites

The concept "Global Regions" is basically established as a follow-up of the UNESCO World Network of Biosphere Reserves with 631 sites in 119 countries. It aims at raising the Biosphere Reserves to be principal internationally-designated areas dedicated to sustainable development in the 21st century and focus on developing models for global, national and local sustainability. Sites of global networks with similar focus will be adequately included in analysis, assessment, awarding and promotion.

Candidates:

Swiss Alps Jungfrau-Aletsch World Heritage, Switzerland. The Natural World Heritage property established 2005 a Management Strategy focused on a well balanced development, protecting a large area in the Central Alpine Space.

Pallau: As of Oct. 22, 2015, 80% of Palau's aquatic area has been designated as protected ocean territory. The remaining 20% will remain open to local fisherman and a limited number of other small-scale commercial activities. Read more

Entlebuch Biosphere Reserve, Switzerland

Grosswalsertal Biosphere Reserve, Austria

Rhoen Biosphere Reserve, Germany

  Biosphere Reserve Lac-Saint -Pierre, Canada

El Hierro, Canary Islands

 
Drupal 6 Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux